The RTI University Collaboration Office seeks a prospect for the Innovation Consulting Internship, Sustainability & Decarbonization Focus within the Innovation Advisors unit.
This internship is a contract position. The employment contract is administered by Greene Resources, powered by Array, RTI’s supplemental staffing partner.
Do you believe in the power of innovation to solve the world’s toughest challenges? Are you passionate about technology? Are you interested in helping our clients create sustainable products and services and work to address the impacts of climate change? Do you want to work for a mission-driven organization filled with smart people who are passionate about what they do and who want to make the world a better place?
If yes, you may be the right person to join RTI Innovation Advisors (IA). Our team has been helping clients solve their toughest technology and innovation challenges for more than 50 years. We help our clients innovate by building innovation capacity, providing insight, and accelerating technology from lab to market. Anchored within a non-profit research institute, the Innovation Advisors deliver consulting services and analyses that are rooted in research.
The internship consulting position is not lab-based, but team members will apply their technical expertise from the lab bench to address clients’ sustainability needs. The intern will work alongside and receive mentorship by the Innovation Advisors and staff to conduct primary and secondary research tasks (including market research) that are often outside the scope of a candidate’s current study or experience.
- Assist with providing market research, competitive analyses, IP review and analysis by conducting research using secondary resources as well as primary resources when needed
- Develop marketing descriptions of new technologies and conduct research in a wide range of technology areas and industries
- Support the team to hold meetings with researchers and inventors to identify promising new technologies
- Employ commercialization and innovation-related frameworks, such as the business model canvas and value proposition testing, to new technologies
- Apply general technical acumen and scientific skills to evaluate a variety of technologies for commercialization potential
RTI's Internship Program emphasizes experiential and mentored learning experiences, providing students and recent degree recipients an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge and skills in a meaningful and practical way. We are committed to developing the future workforce by encouraging interns to explore various career paths in a nonprofit research institute setting that values diversity and inclusion. Through this program, interns will be exposed to RTI's open and educational culture; support RTI's mission to improve the human condition; and build upon their career goals.
This virtual paid internship will begin as soon as it is filled, and last for approximately 6 months with the possibility to extend. The internship requires a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week. Hours are flexible during business hours, Monday through Friday.
- Currently enrolled junior, senior, or graduate student in a science or engineering field
- Demonstrated comfort and willingness to regularly work outside the scope of the candidate’s technical field of study
- Able to support our team for at least 15 hrs/week during our office hours (9-5, M-F, virtually or in-person when possible).
- Area of study in chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer science, environmental studies, or closely related discipline with strong fundamental knowledge base in sustainability
- Experience and/or familiarity with:
- Zero-emissions fuels, e-fuels, sustainable/renewable fuels, biofules or similar (e.g. hydrogen, e-methanol, sustainable aviation fuels (SAFs) renewable natural gas)
- Batteries, fuel cells, generators, microgrids or similar
- Decaronization/electrification of hard to abate industries (e.g. shipping, cement, steel, fertilizers or similar)
- Motivated, with a passion for innovation consulting and business advising
- Entrepreneurial and professional (motivated, on time, strong work ethic)
- Exceptional written and oral communication, time management, and analytical skills
- Detail-oriented and able to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
MAIL & PHONE
PO Box 33615
Raleigh, NC 27636